Update by user Jul 09, 2012

It is worth adding that I have been a Verizon Wireless customer for approximately 10 years....

Original review posted by user Jul 09, 2012

I recently received orders to go overseas for the US Federal Government. I am not a contractor, nor do I have control over receiving these orders to serve overseas. I called Verizon Wireless customer service to see about waiving my early termination fee for early cancellation of cellular phone service. I was flat out told because I am not a US Military service member transferring overseas, Verizon would not consider waiving the early termination fee. Really?

I spoke with a customer service representative and another person who was part of the "leadership team," regarding this issue (I am not going to mention names here). I asked why Verizon Wireless would only consider waiving the fee if I were a member of the military. She told me it is an unofficial policy that Verizon Wireless only considers military cases worthy of waiving of the termination fee, but no other government organizations are considered as part of this benefit and there was nothing that could be done.

However, after conferring with (I assume) higher level managers, I was told I could fax over a copy of my orders and they would consider allowing me to send my iPhone (which cost me $399, plus taxes) back to Verizon and they might waive the fee. So let me see, if Verizon waives the fee if I send the phone back. I paid $399 for the phone in the first place, but I will have no equipment after I send it back. Is this Verizon Wireless' way of making me pay the $350 cancellation fee so I can keep my phone I have had for about 9 months? I am positive military members do not have to send back their equipment if they go overseas to serve their country. Why the double standard by this company toward federal government workers outside of the US Military?

It wasn't like I chose to have the government orders and I am certainly not looking to make over on Verizon Wireless, but it seems they're getting over on US federal government employees that are not in the military. We haven't had a pay raise in two (2) years, but the military has. Before anyone thinks I am bashing the military for Verizon Wireless' policy, think again. I honorably served in the Marine Corps prior to this for 7 and ½ years, but the policy seems fundamentally unfair and unsound. Why is a US federal government worker being punished for going overseas for the federal government for doing their job?

Review about: Verizon Wireless Service Transfer.

Comments

Columbia, South Carolina, United States #1198064

They are required per law for military members but are not for non military members

u r not alone. I left this company while ago and feel very good