I changed over from Verizon to another carrier, they port over my phones from Verizon and then that afternoon I call and speak with a rep indicating that I want to terminate my account with them and asked what fees I would have to pay. I was told by this rep that I would pay only a pro rated fee and that I would receive a new bill.

Today I get a bill for a whole month fee, I call back and speak with another rep who tells me that my account was not terminated but only "suspended" regardless of my call requesting that the account be terminated. Basically said that I was going to have to pay for two weeks of non usage regardless. I then asked why wasn't I told this by the prior customer svc rep and he said that the rep should have and that they were in the wrong for not explaining such. Any event I escalated this with a manager who basically just said that this is company policy and that if I wish she can send a complaint to the initial svc rep's manager.

I told them it didn't matter I am done with them and won't consider Verizon for any future services period.

Obviously my account doesn't matter but with such poor policies used to grab money for services not rendered nor used by exiting customers they will hang their own necks. Word of mouth and word of web will be their own undoing.

Comments

I have run into the same problem with Verizon. I was also told my final bill would be prorated, but I was charged for the entire month - 153.00.

When I called to complain, I was told that when you port over your ph number to the new company that does not cancel your account with Verizon, it just puts it into a suspended mode until your next billing cycle. So for 5 days of cell phone service I paid 153.00. The CSR that I spoke with told me this policy is in the terms & conditions of the contract that I signed. I will be looking for my copy of those T&C's; they change those all of the time and since I signed my contract in 2009, it is possible that clause wasn't in there at that time.

If that is the case, I will be asking them to refund my money!

Either way it goes, this leaves me with a very poor opinion of Verizon, trying to get every last penny they can out of me before I leave. What are the chances I will ever use them again because of this.....slim to none.

Company policy and what is legal, ethical or practical are all different things.

Check into it further.

Report them to Better Business Bureau and FTC since it involves money.

Good Luck