2.5
Coverage Area
Style and Design

My wife and I went into the local Verizon store in Woodinville, WA in January 2016 because we needed 2 new phones. We have been good customers for many years. We were moving from unlimited data plans to the 'new' limited data plans as well as getting the new phones.

Talking to Daniel about our options he brought up this great promotion on the JetPack. With each new phone purchased we could also purchase a JetPack for $30 and the usual $40 activation charge and monthly access charge would be waived for the duration of the contract. We apy for the hardware up front and the 2 JetPacks would share our families 18GB of data.

After a couple months I checked the bill and we had been charged the $40 activation fees, $80 total, as well as $10 each a month access charge. When I went to the store and explained the situation again with Daniel, he and his manager both say there was no such promotion and that we were out of luck because it had been 3 months.

Stuck paying $20 a month for the next two years for something that I don't really need. Live and learn. Next time I will make sure that everything that they say is recorded and on paper before leaving the store if I have to deal with them again.

Product or Service Mentioned: Verizon Wireless Free Verizon Jetpack Deal.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Coverage area.

I didn't like: Slimy verizon solution specialist.

Comments

My 90 year old grandfather is currently experiencing the scam that is jet pack. Verizon has become an uncontrollable monster

Diamond Bar, California, United States #1254667

1st thing they do is not telling you that Jetpack have a montly fee of $10 and that even when you asked, they will tell you that it's free.

2nd thing they do is that most transactions now days are processed on iPad in their store. You can carefully read all the terms and condition before you sign it but it doesn't help. Once you sign it they can put you up to something that you didn't even agree to purchase like mobile protection plan.

Don't sign anything on their iPad.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States #1227692

Went to a 3rd party vendor that represents itself as a Verizon outlet. Verizon polo tops etc.

Went to store in July because needed to get a receipt for a purchase of an iPhone made out of state. While there decided to upgrade my GBs. That's all good so far. Then the salesperson offers a free gift.

A Jetpack. No charge. Ok. It's free what the ***.

Never use it. Have no use for it. I'm a relatively sophisticated consumer. Anyways, who looks at or understands the monthly phone bill.

Well last week I did look. Noticed a 3rd line added to the family plan. Was the Jetpack. $10 month.

Apparently, the 3rd party vendor signed it up as a 2 year contract. Called Verizon irate at this scam. They investigated. Saw that there was no signed contract that raised their suspicion.

They immediately gave me credit for the money I paid. Issue now was early termination. $175. I went to the 3rd Party vendor.

Told them I believe I was scammed and returned the Jetpack and obtained the receipt for the return. Told Verizon that I returned the Jetpack and therefore didn't want to see a termination fee of $175. They said the 3rd party vendor needs to process that. I explained to Verizon that it seems somewhat unlikely I'd get that 3rd party vendor to do all this considering I accused them of fraud.

Verizon actually agreed with my assessment and agreed to Bill me for the early termination of $175 but issue an immediate credit for $175. So props to Verizon for the manner in which they handled this. Remember this was clearly outside the 14 day return period. However seeing that I never activated the Jetpack and there was no signed agreement, they agreed that I was being scammed and did the right thing.

They will deal with this vendor by disciplining the store once the Verizon fraud department reviews the paperwork. My lesson to you is be vigilant with anything claimed to be free.

Be persistent. I spent hours on the phone with Verizon pleading my case.

If you can find a family or friend who would have use of the Jetpacks you could transfer the service into their name using the Transfer of Service option. It would remove the lines permanently from your account.

No cell phone carrier sells or provides equipment without a price plan or monthly reoccurring line access charge, even if the equipment is free, which by now you are well aware. Usually if a cell phone carrier offers anything for free, there is a contract attached to it. The business has to have a reason to justify the 'free' equipment, and the reoccurring monthly line access is the justification on the equipment discount. To be fair, you had to accept or 'sign' the contract before leaving the store and the documents they sent you home with had the associated charges detailed in them.

Granted, it was wrong for the store associate to lie and tell you that it was free for the duration of the contract, but on the same hand the devil was in the details of the paperwork, sadly.

You can also convert the lines over to tablet lines or phone lines (which increases the line access), if you simply do not use the Jetpacks and would or could use another phone line or other connected device to save yourself an activation fee for adding a new line of service. You will, however, have to provide your own equipment or pay outright for it.

to Anonymous #1434418

So screw over a family or friend?